Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Keep your comrade warm...

Sigh. This one's a little different. I'm still along the vein I want to be on, I've just taken a slight detour is all. This isn't as "chunky" as I want to be working at the moment, I've softened the edges too much I feel. (Though maybe that's a good thing in the difference between handling a man and a woman...) The drawing was poorly established, and it shows, but it isn't terrible. The likeness is in the ball park just not spot on. I think I'll have to give it another go, but that goes without saying.

I think I'm getting better at accurately seeing and evaluating the effects of light. These paintings have become less monochromatic "flesh" colored studies, and have evolved into honest portraits in the flesh, so to speak. Even looking back a mere two weeks or so ago... progress is being made. Like they say, "you learn to paint by painting."

The disappointing factor in choosing what to paint these days has been my reference. The pictures are all well and good, just... not very interesting. The self portrait a few posts back I kind of lucked into as far as interesting lighting, but I've been practicing a lot with shooting reference and I think I'm getting the hang of it. Next up: warm light and cool shadow; along with temperature and value changes as the planes change. I think it'll help me avoid the over all... red... feel like this. I tried to cool it down with a purple-ish background, but that actually only made things worse. Sometimes contrast isn't your friend.

Moving on... it would seem that the Graphic Artists Guild is suing the Illustrator's Partnership of America . The idea sickens me. BUT... I'm reposting a link I've stolen from Irene Gallo's blog that any visual artist (or anyone that cares about visual artist's rights) should look into and considering signing the petition to stop the lawsuit:

http://stopsuitpetition.blogspot.com/

I'm kind of sick of the Guild. I wish they'd stop acting like they're speaking for ALL artists - because they quite obviously don't. Though apparently they feel they can sue anyone who speaks out against them. Ah... litigation.

Oh. Before I go, it would seem that there were over 5,000 entries into the Societies 51st annual, and only 449 pieces were accepted, which is a scant 8 percent or so. I only stood a 1 in 1,000 chance of getting something in, assuming everyone else who entered submitted 5 pieces. Really I think it was more of 1 in 5,000. So I really don't feel so bad.

I really want to end this post on a happy note, but I've got nothing. So, smile. Just because I said so and because they're infectious. Smile enough and you can't help but feel happy. I promise.

No comments: