Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"No one makes their first jump..."


Well, first thing's first, I suppose. The results for the Society's 51st annual were posted late in the day on Friday, and I didn't get anything accepted. I wouldn't really say I was disappointed though. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have gotten something in the book, but I didn't have high hopes; and it's hard to feel let down if you don't get your hopes up. A few days after I entered I convinced myself this would be the inevitable outcome. I know there are people out there that subscribe to the notion that positive thinking can change anything - but I'm not one of them. I don't think any amount of "happy thoughts" would have swayed the jury into choosing my work. The truth of the matter is I've still got some ways to go, despite how far I may have come.

I didn't make my first jump. It doesn't mean anything.

That being said, I think may have started a project that's going to drive me insane before it's through. It will serve as an illustration codex if I'm able to stick with it. The plan so far has been to go through all of my notes from all of my classes (though mostly illustration classes) and condense them into one easy to manage book. I'm not very far into the project at all at this point, but it's slow going and tedious. There's nothing quite like transcribing notes you've already taken for your own benefit. I think I stand to relearn a lot that I already know, which is good, but I'm curious how well I'll be able to add to it in the future. Most of what I'm learning at these days is about handling paint and color mixing. I suppose I can make notation on that kind of thing, but I don't know. I don't know how well any of it will transcribe. I can take it to lectures and make notes on feedback I receive, but that almost feels like a flimsy excuse.

Wow. I just realized it sounds like I'm trying to talk myself out of it. I guess I don't know what I plan to do with it past revisiting all of my old notes with a definite sense of purpose. Maybe I'm getting bored and too comfortable in my day to day and needed one more thing to put off doing. As it is I have three outstanding personal projects and a deadline in January for the next contest to prepare for. PLUS whatever else I think of between now and then. Ah... I've got to get cracking!

No comments: