Thursday, December 4, 2008

Harumph.


This is Katharine.

I think I overworked Katharine, this painting doesn't have any of the freshness I had been working towards. My friend thinks it's probably the best so far in terms of likeness, and I agree (though I still really like the last one I did of her and the self portrait) but it feels... I don't know... stiff. I like it, I just think I should have held back a little is all.

The image is a little dark because the painting is a little dark. I've always felt my paintings were too technicolor and high key. I blame my enduring love affair with cartoons, but the colors were always super bright with darks mixed in here and there. Mayhap the brights are used a little too sparingly in this painting, but I think I'm on the right track.

Oh, and I'm figuring out how to paint hair.

1 comment:

Dalton G Crosthwait said...

"What are you doing heeere with this great painting?"

This one's wicked, but I share your fondness for the self portrait. Hair must be a pain though, no? Drawing it always takes a good while if I want to get it looking right.

Anyhow, I love you, sweetness. Let's see more octopii!

-White Lightning