Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Ugly Mug Mondays! #5 and #6

Last week I didn't post a painting for Ugly Mug Monday because the moment I finished painting it I was all set up and loose enough to start work on the Steampunk Mailman. By the time I stopped painting that evening (and really it was 8 in the morning) I was too tired to take a picture and write up a blog posting. So, here it is.

It's oil on watercolor paper. It's something I've played with once before and didn't much care for it then either. I got some nice loose effects that I'm fond of, so I think it's something that I'm going to continue experimenting with. This time around I tried applying linseed oil quite liberally, but the paper still soaked that up almost instantly. Next time I think I'll actually soak the paper in linseed oil and see what happens.






This week's offering is back to casein on canvas paper. I'm really liking how that combination handles. I just start blocking in darks with a flat brush and correct as I go. I set up my black mirror to keep my values low and better controlled, since I've noticed my tendency to go more towards high key in my value structures. At any rate, it isn't bad for a 20 minute study.

I wonder what I'll come up with next week! The 12 week challenge is keeping me pretty busy, but it's all very exciting.

No comments: