Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hot town, summer in the city.


Well, here I am. Sitting in an apartment in New York City. Southwest Harlem, to be exact - in case anyone was curious. My buddy Brian and I are here to make a serious go of illustration. Well, that's not entirely accurate. We're here to try to meet with people in the field; and from that I think the end result in mind is to start getting freelance work. If this were the golden age, this would kind of be the christening - to be a New York illustrator. But, alas, this isn't the golden age, which at the moment I'm actually kind of happy for - I like living in Oakland. Digital technology has definitely revolutionized the way we're allowed to work. Take Greg Newbold for instance. Fantastic illustrator who lives out in Utah. That would have been immensely difficult to do even fifty years ago. Coming to New York was just what you did if you wanted to be successful at it. So like I said, here I am.

According to google maps I am 2905 miles from home, so in a sense this will serve as a sort of journal of traveling illustrators. We've definitely traveled, and I'm sure we're bound to get into a fair amount of trouble (Sorry Stephany, sorry Andra) so I'll keep you posted. Currently my companion and I are battening down the hatches and getting ready to hit the street running with our wares. It feels like there's still so much to do, a lot of fine-tuning and preening, but I'm ready. The next 20 days or so are going to be intense and full of emotion and I'll be sure to write as much of it down as I can stand.

No comments: